i am so excited to share this recipe with you. and you’ll be excited to share it with your loves, too. especially if you’re on a gluten/grain free diet and miss enjoying pizza from time-to-time.
this recipe is so easy to make.
preheat your oven to 350F, grab your coconut flour, ground flax (aka: flax meal), 4 eggs, almond or coconut milk, spices and your appetite…
in a bowl, mix 1/3 cup flax meal with 1/3 cup (sifted) coconut flour. also, add in spices that you like. i added garlic, oregano and basil. and i added until i thought it looked good. just eyeball it. you know your family’s taste buds. add hot pepper if you want. whatever sounds good to the ones you’re feeding.
in another bowl, mix 4 eggs and 1/2 c coconut milk [or almond milk]
add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix thoroughly. it should look like pancake batter: runny-ish.
on your pizza pan, you’ll want to lay out parchment paper and pour your batter onto it evenly.
[the mixture should look like pancake batter.]
and you’re likely going to want to double it.
at the 10 minute mark, you need to flip this crust. don’t be intimidated. just pull the pan out of the oven and carefully pull the parchment paper, with crust on it, onto another flat cookie sheet. at which time, you’ll put a fresh sheet of parchment paper back on top of your pizza crust. it will be sandwiched with parchment paper. put cookie sheets together and flip. the crust will transfer to new parchment paper and you can peel the old off and discard.
once you pull the completely cooked pizza crust out of the oven (after 20 minutes), you will top with your favorites (that you’ve already cooked or have prepared) and then pop back in the oven on broil until your cheese is melted.
the finished pizza should look like this:
this crust is soft and yet very sturdy. it never fell apart or even teased as though it would. but to be fair, isn’t Papa Johns. this isn’t supposed to be a pizza from your days of devouring deep dish pizzas. but i really do love this crust – it’s filling and satisfies my family’s pizza cravings. and, for the little ones, it’s always fun to let them layer on the toppings.
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup flax meal
- ⅓ cup coconut flour (sifted)
- ½ cup milk (almond or coconut)
- 2Tbs spices (ex: oregano, basil, garlic, sea salt)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- place parchment paper over top pizza pan or large cookie sheet
- in bowl, mix dry ingredients together (including spices)
- in another bowl, mix wet ingredients
- thoroughly mix all ingredients together until it looks like pancake batter
- evenly spread batter onto parchment paper in shape desired
- bake for 10 minutes and then flip crust
- bake additional 10 minutes and remove crust
- add toppings to crust and then place back in oven and broil until cheese is melted