it may look like dirt. but i promise, it’s clean.
i can’t remember how i stumbled upon this recipe idea, but am i ever glad that i did.
i wasn’t a big milk and cereal eater, pre-gluten/grain-free days, but i do like cereal. and sometimes i just need an easy go-to for breakfast. this is a family favorite. we keep it stored in the refrigerator and it stays so crunchy. it’s not pretty to look at, really, but oh my gracious. it is absolutely delicious with milk poured over. it’s good eaten plain or over coconut yogurt or homemade coconut ice cream.
like Green Eggs and Ham says, “try it. try it. you will see.”
have fun with the recipe. if you prefer sunflower seeds to pumpkin, omit the pumpkin and use sunflower seeds instead. or add part pine-nuts or walnuts. as long as you keep the almond meal and shredded coconut as the base, you can change the recipe based on your taste preferences.
let me know how you enjoy it (not if. that won’t be the question)…
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups almonds chopped
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix well
- In a separate bowl, combine all of your wet ingredients
- Microwave wet ingredients for 20-30 seconds to help it mix better
- Once warm, pour wet ingredients over your dry seed and nut mixture and mix well with a fork to ensure you coat everything
- Place your mixture on a baking sheet and spread thin and evenly
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes
- Remove from the oven and stir
- Let cool completely on baking sheet to allow crunch to "set"
- Serve in a bowl with some almond milk or coconut milk, over coconut yogurt or ice cream.