Christmas means cookies.
it means lots of other sweet things, too.
but today, for us, it meant cookies.
after playing with a few recipes, and mixing things up a bit, i came up with a ‘sugar’ cookie that i think you’ll approve of. and you won’t feel guilty allowing your children to indulge in these little babies. traditional sugar cookies call for almost 2 cups of white (refined) sugar. when sugar is processed (refined) it is stripped of any nutritional value and what you’re left with is a product that creates spikes in blood sugar. when blood sugar spikes dramatically, it sets off a chain of events in your body that can cause a host of negative symptoms and consequences.
so now when i make baked goods, i try swapping out refined sugars for more natural unprocessed sugars. some that you can play with are palm sugar, turbinado sugar, cane sugar, molasses, honey, raw honey and stevia.
for this recipe, i used a combination of honey and stevia (primarily because that’s what i happened to have on hand). i also used coconut oil in place of butter (that sugar cookie recipes traditionally call for). i rarely have butter in my house, and while i’m not totally opposed to butter, i decided to try coconut oil because i love that stuff so much and because it’s what i had most of.
my biggest tip, for you, in making these successfully is to 1. taste the dough to make sure the sweetness suits the palates of the cookie eaters in your home and to 2. allow the dough to rest in the refrigerator for 30min-1hr after mixing.
your cookies should look something like this.
and if you’re breaking the rules because it’s Christmas, and because you’re Santa and can do anything you want to do, you might have a tea party at 8:00 in the morning. tea always requires cookies. everyone knows that. especially Santa.
tea is always best when shared with a friend. or two.
- 2¾ cups + 2Tbs all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup coconut oil (softened)
- ½ cup honey
- 15-20 drops liquide stevia (i taste-test around 15 to see if i approved of sweetness)
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- mix flour baking soda and baking powder together
- in separate bowl mix oil, vanilla, stevia, honey and egg together
- slowly add in dry ingredients
- let dough rest in refrigerator for 30min-1hr
- Preheat oven to 375F
- on greased cookie sheet drop spoonfuls of cookie dough (make small balls and then press them flat on cookie sheet)
- add sprinkles now or leave them plain
- remove baked cookies and allow to fully cool on cooling rack before eating