Instead of trail mix in a bag, try making these simple bars. Easy to make – and an easy snack to grab. Just remember to keep them refrigerated until ready to eat.
All you’ll need, for this recipe, is 3 cups of your preference of nuts, seeds, and dried fruit. My favorite combination is raisins, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds and cashews. Try to buy raw nuts that are unsalted so that you can control the amount of salt in the recipe.
Mix the nut/seed/fruit combination in a large mixing bowl with 1/2 cup honey and about 1/2-1tsp cinnamon. Place the mixture on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Keep the mixture about 1/4″ thick and together. You want to roast the nuts and seeds a bit. Your honey will spread as the mixture bakes at 350F for about 15 minutes. Once you pull the sheet out of the oven, gently push the honey back to the nut mixture with a spatula until fully cooled.
Once fully cooled, melt several dark chocolate bars or approximately 2 cups Enjoy Life chocolate chips. You will pour and spread the chocolate over the top of the cooled nuts. Again, allow this to fully cool. The best way, I’ve found, is to place the tray in the refrigerator.
Place parchment paper with completely cooled uncut bars, on your counter or chopping block and using a large knife cut bars. The size of each bar is up to you. I try to make mine about 1″ wide by about 2″ long.
Most importantly, go slow on these babies. They’re addictive!
- 3 cups nuts/seeds/dried fruit
- ½ cup honey
- ½-1tsp cinnamon
- 2 large bars dark chocolate or 2 cups Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients (minus chocolate) well
- Spread mixture onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper
- Allow mixture to be ¼-1/2" thick
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Once removed push honey back into mixture with a spatula until cooled
- Melt chocolate and pour over completely cooled nut mixture and spread out evenly with spatula
- Place cookie sheet into refrigerator to cool completely
- Cut into 1"x2" pieces
- Place in tupperware and keep refrigerated until ready to eat